Friday, January 30, 2009

What I Believe

I believe in God, Jesus Christ, the Gospels, baptism, and redemption.

I believe that human life begins at conception.  We cannot judge the value of life by any human scale of measurement.  Every life is precious regardless of the circumstances surrounding its beginning. 


I do not believe in the death penalty.  What God has created, no government or society has the right to take away, even for evil acts.  Evildoers should be imprisoned for the safety of others, but God will determine their ultimate punishment.  However, I believe in the right to defend one's self, family and community against violence.  I support the individual right to bear arms as guaranteed in the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America. 


I believe in the humane treatment of animals.  God granted us dominion over all the earth, but with that comes great responsibility.  Although I choose not to consume the flesh of any creature with fins, feathers, or fur, I do not bear ill toward those who do.  But if one must slaughter and eat fish, fowl, and/or those who bear fur, let them be treated humanely and their lives ended swiftly and painlessly.   I strongly believe that if one choses to have an animal as a companion or pet, they must be treated with the love and respect one would bestow on a beloved family member and must not be mistreated, abused, abandoned, or discarded.


There is a great deal more, which I will share when I have time.  Some of you who have known me for a long time may see that many of my beliefs have changed from those I expoused in my youth.  This is due to my life experiences, a new sense of spirituality, an appreciation of the world around me, and finally, surrendering my pride, anger, and mistrust.  Dealing with those last three items is a daily struggle, but I can no longer live with them nor expect anyone I love to put up with me if I hold onto them.

No comments:

Post a Comment